February 9, 2011

Justfication and sanctification

Once at a talk about faith and deeds (after the community) I came to conclusion that one can distinguish two terms. All Christians are called saints in the epistles of the NT because we are justified or 'declared righteous' through our initial faith and repentence (change of our minds). On the other hand we still have to become more holy because our sanctification or 'making holy' is a process lasting as long as we live on earth.

 Rev 22:11b "and he that is righteous, let him do righteousness still: and he that is holy, let him be made holy still."(ASV)

One should avoid both extremes:
a) focusing on salvation: I'm saved and forgiven, I cannot loose it, I don't need to worry about my deeds nor spiritual growth.
b) focusing on good deeds so that it becomes base of salvation.

I think we should believe we are accepted by God because He is gracious. We needn't panic about loosing salvation, but anyway to be aware that if we take God too easlily, it may happen.

1 comment:

R.A. said...

L: "Christians are called saints in the epistles of the NT because we are justified or 'declared righteous' through our initial faith and repentence (change of our minds).

R.A. I am now not very sure, whether this is the original reason in NT for calling somebody 'saint'. It sounds good, but I am not sure, whether it is exact reason... Maybe Christians are called saints first of all because God initiated our faith? Because God has worked in us so, that we repented? Maybe it makes no difference here, but nevertheless I would remind this.
However, I think, we are beings with free will and we are able to make decisions which are against God's will.